1 September – A Perfect Evening

This month should be excellent for Trout fishing. The weather is kinder to the fish and the evenings are drawing in which means I can get to the pub at a decent time.

After Tuesdays session I came to the conclusion that I should use a smaller fly. A small fly with a sparse hackle and a lighter tippet. I tied some size 20 dry flies this morning and chopped the hackles off the underside. It saves messing about during the frantic evening rise. The weed beds are not too dense this year and I will try a 2.7lb bs tippet. I must remember to gently lift into the fish. The lopsided fly should reduce leader twist. I hope.


I arrived at Keeper’s Bridge at about 4:00pm and tackled up under the trees.  It was warm with a south-west breeze, perfect conditions.  I sat on the grass and had a few practice casts with a small dry fly. It was fine, the leader didn’t twist and the fly sat in the surface film nicely. I saw a fish rise just downstream of where I was sitting. I crept down the bank and flicked the fly across the current above the rise. The Trout took first time but the hook hold failed and it wriggled away into the weeds.  Another lesson learnt, a size 20 fine wire hook will not hold a 2lb Trout.


Plan B. I swapped to a size 16 dry fly but after thirty minutes I hadn’t had a take. Fish were rising but the size of the fly was putting them off. I put on a 4lb leader and tied on a nymph. First cast to a rising fish and I had a savage take from a good fish. It jumped a few times and looked about 3lb. It fought hard and I couldn’t revive it. It was exhausted and I decided to keep it, the first Trout I have taken from the river this season.


I walked downstream to the Alder tree and flicked the nymph under the branches. The leader drew away but when I lifted the rod there was no response.  The same thing happened next cast. On the third cast I saw a fish follow but turn away at the last moment.  I swapped the fly for a Neoprene Buzzer and after a few casts, the fish took confidently.  The tippet had sunk and the semi-buoyant fly was a few inches under the surface. As I was taking a photograph of the fish, another Trout took a fly from the surface.

I returned the fish and walked slowly back to the Land Rover. I gave the big Trout to the Landlady at The Badgers,  she seemed genuinely pleased with it. I had a pint of Blonde on the house.